Home Forums General Discussion Ignition switch

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      nozzi
      Participant

Evening all

My ignition switch has developed a problem. It’s not critical at the moment but is a bit disconcerting.

The first two clicks on the key  (acc and power ) seem fine; however, when it is turned to start, it springs back and the engine cuts out. This doesn’t happen every time , maybe about 1 in 4 and then runs normally. I am a bit concerned that it could spring back whilst driving and switch off the engine

I have looked at YouTube etc and spoken to a few mechanics but have not got a definitive cause or cure yet.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Nozzi

Barry & Maggie

Ignition lock faults have been mentioned before, I’m sure, but I have no remedy for you unfortunately.

On Page701 of The Little Exsis Book, Item 112 mentions Punto lock problems with a link.  That may be a starting point for you.

I’ve  not searched yet, but an excellent resource is the Fiat Forum,  here… https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/

Good luck and please let us know if you find any information?

Barry

nozzi
          Participant

Thanks Barry, the Fiat forum is very interesting. I haven’t found a cure yet but having reached p22 of 107 could be developing Ducato hypochondria.

My local Fiat dealership have quoted £123 for the ignition lock unit. A local Autolock firm says it’s easy,  I only need to replace the switch (about £20 on eBay) but I haven’t tried to remove the old one yet, in case it immobilises it completely. I’m  also not sure whether it might just be safer to change the whole thing,  I think either way may also mean the keys being recoded.

Nozzi

Barry & Maggie

Oh, that’s hassle, either way!

Bad luck.  I think you need to sort it, before you get stranded somewhere with a broken lock.  The eBay method sounds fine, but get that mechanic on your side!

Good luck, and let us know what transpires with this?

Barry

nozzi
              Participant

Hi Barry

I eventually got the ignition sorted. I had to buy from the Fiat dealer as there are so many variants.

It wasn’t possible to pin down the right one on eBay. Some have a separate switch but mine didn’t, so I had to remove and replace the steering lock casting (£123)which includes the switch.

I haven’t had to change the original barrel and keys; or had to reprogram the immobiliser, which I was a bit worried about.

I took photos as I went along to help in reassembly. working out how to remove the various bits of the trim took  awhile with a few “secret” screws. and the steering lock is secured with security “headless” shear bolts. These have to be removed with a hammer and punch and tapped round .

It was bit awkward and time consuming, but not beyond DIY.

I could provide photos etc when I’ve got enough time.

Nozzi

Barry & Maggie

Thanks for all that, Nozzi.

Yes, taking photos as you go is a great tip and they formed the basis of all my early “How To’s”.  One picture really IS worth a thousand words.

Looking forward to seeing your work.  It really WILL help folks in the future, doing this same job.

Thanks.

Barry

Fred & Gill
                  Participant

Well done Nozzi for your perseverance and thanks for highlighting the issue for others.

I hope that my Ruby behave herself because like Barry I am thinking that I am getting too old for problem solving and being a contortionist  to get into those difficult spaces (usually upside down)

Fred

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.